Re: Cutworms

  • Subject: Re: Cutworms
  • From: Bob <bobaxe@sbtek.net>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:48:30 -0500

NardaA@aol.com wrote:

> Rabbits come along and snip things off at the stem.  It could be anything
> from shoots on a tender bush to the blooms on heuchera.  It looks like
> someone took pruners and clipped the stem.  They may or may not consume some
> of the leaf.  N.

HI Narda
	I couldn't make out which you meant for sure above, rabbits or
cutworms. The original corn cutworms they treat for so much cuts the
small cornstalk or other plant off an inch or so above the ground and
sucks the juice out of the stem sticking up. That is why the
recommendation to place a ring of some sort around the base of the
plant. These are a different sort of cutworm that chews on the leaves of
plants. I tried to call my brother the farmer tonight and ask him what
is going on or what kind of worms he thought these were. He keeps up on
all these things, he wasn't home at the moment.
                Hostasonline http://hostasonline.com/
                Hosta Library http://hostalibrary.org/