Re: [hostapix] Fw: holes - beer - no slugs?

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] Fw: holes - beer - no slugs?
  • From: Rogers <rogers4@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:44:45 -0400

The product is "Cygon", a systemic poison.  Also effective against cutworms are beneficial nematodes.

Floyd Rogers
Butterfield Gardens
At 10:08 AM 5/31/01 -0400, you wrote:
It appears that cutworm damage is rather wide spread here in Iowa. I have now
spoken to 6 different people from various places in the state and everyone's
number one complaint was cutworm damage this year.  I also spoke to a
neighbor/farmer regarding this problem.  He stated that the cutworms are
already attaching the corn crop and are also in the lawns.  So much for our
tough winter that should have taken care of these things.
I called our local nursery and spoke with one of their experts on the
situation.  He said that I should broadcast Dursban granules over the gardens
and then wash it down with water, which Mother Nature is taking care of once
again.  Dursban is being taken off the market and being replaced with Bonide,
which is supposed to be safer then Dursban.  I also had heard that a product
called Sygon (not sure of the spelling) is also affective with this.
In all my years of gardening I have never experienced so much damage and so
wide spread.  There isn't a bed where there is not damage.  Even on plants
that are of heavier substance that one would not think would be effected.
Hope this helps anyone that may have the same problem.
Joyce

JOYCE M. FLIES
PANTHEON HOSTA GARDENS
"The Friendship Plant'