Re: Cutworms

  • Subject: Re: Cutworms
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 00:20:03 -0400

Hi Everybody,
            Where I grew up "cutworm" meant caterpillars that cut plants off
at the base. Some folks use the word for any caterpillar, most of which cut
big channels in leaves. Are we all talking about the same bugs, or do we
have people using the word both ways? I don't have the first kind, but I do
have more of the second kind of damage than usual this year. One way to tell
if it's rabbits is to see if the cut-down leaves form a straight line.
Rabbits are known to do this to set up line-of-sight escape routes. For
those who are worried that their dogs or cats might eat mothballs if they
use them, there are mothflakes small enough that I doubt they would be

.........Bill Meyer