Re: The Journal and Bulk mail

  • Subject: Re: The Journal and Bulk mail
  • From: "Ann James" <annfree@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 16:18:13 -0500

Carol,

I just signed up with AHS online.  Actually, the hostas didn't have to show me all that much.  Just flourish in shade in sort of shallow piney wood soil.  They did give me a nasty start when they all vanished into hibernation.  You can call it dormancy, but I think it was more like hibernation.

Texas A&M has been conducting tests with the cooperation of local wholesale nurseries to see just what hostas want in Texas, for most people around here have never heard of them.  I'm not sure how I did except from pecking around online to see what didn't need a whole lot of sun.  We moved to Conroe about a year and a half ago and it is way different from my huge sunny yard in Houston.  There you picked plants that could take a Texas summer and clay soil.  Not so, here.

But evidently the hostas do like it here, for they are absolutely burgeoning.  I also got some hellebores, which don't impress me at all so far, but the hostas just keep on growing.  I mean, since they finally got up from the winter sleep and got with the program.

Goodness knows what they'll do now that we got a bit of rain.  I don't think sprinkler systems and hand held hose waterings really cut it.

Ann James
Conroe, Texas