Re: Treating slugs with ammonia

>From owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com Wed May  6 19:33:10 1998
>From: TLFrost <TLFrost@aol.com>
>Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 22:31:26 EDT
>To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
>Subject: Re: Treating slugs with ammonia
>Sender: owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com
>
>Use a solution of 1 part ammonia to 6-8parts of water. This dilution
should
>not damage your foliage. I prefer a solution of 1 part vinegar to 4-5
parts of
>water since my soil is naturally alkaline and the vinegar atleast
temporarily
>acidifies my soil.I have been spraying at the base of my plants as the
slugs
>hide in that area during the day and I have found their eggs in the
soil in
>that area as well. As the soil warms(now) the eggs are hatching and I
hope to
>get the little suckers before they get bigger at my hostas' expense!
>If you have reservations about using either solution , try using them
just
>prior to a rain. They work rather quickly on the slugs but should be
less
>likely to harm the foliage of the plants. Full strength of either
solution
>will quickly turn your leaves to compost material.
>Good luck and keep up the battle,
>Ter
>Zn6 and spraying

Ammonia 1 to 10 seems to work up here in Ontario.  Direct contact with
the mollusk must be made and some have filled a back-pack sprayer and
done all the crowns just as the leaves emerge to catch the litle
critters.  Your suggestion of applying just before a rain will dilute
the spray after it had done the trick so re-examination after the rain
might turn up a few who escaped and you could get them then.

Bob Leask