Tissue Culture

Robins,

I spent 3 days this past week at the Hawes Institute for the Advancement of
Hosta Science. This week's lesson was on hosta tissue culture.

Subjects covered were:

1) Removal of the hosta meristem.
2) Autoclaving distilled water
3) Mixing, adjusting PH, and cooking the medium.
4) Placing medium into vessels.
5) Autoclaving the vessels and medium.
6) Sterile technique under the hood.
7) Placing the explants in prepared sterilized vessels with medium under the
hood.
8) General discussion of techniques required to successfully operate a
tissue culture lab.

While at Jim's I ordered the supplies that I will need to start doing tissue
culture at home. I will start building my hood in the next  week and hope to
be up and running on a small scale in the next 5 to 6 months. I have a lot
of work to do.

Jim had two large clumps of H.'White River' and H. 'Hyacinthnia' that had
interesting sports. We dug both(a two man job) and removed the sports. Jim
potted them up and put them in the green house along with  750 or so other
hostas he is keeping an eye on.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7