Re: Queen of Islip and north locations

At 07:35 AM 5/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>To Ran et all.
>Do you think your Queen of Islip not burning might have something to do
>with your northern location?
>What I'm getting at is that I think (bad word) that hosta grown in northern
>areas ( I live at 45 Latitude) are less susceptible to scorching from the
>Anyone have any idea of this subject?
>Roy Dales
>Milton, VT
>Z 3/4
I am very sure you are right.  I believe that the closer you can come to
matching the original enviroment of the species parentage of a given plant,
the more successful you will be.  As you progress farther south, the Hosta
seems to be more adaptable , to higher elevations, here we grow them in
open areas, frequently , with no shade at all.  That of course again
depends on the location where the "wild" parents were found.  plantaginea,
in the "wild" is a more southern plant, so it and it's "offspring"
,generally do better in the south.  Fragrent Hostas (all with plantaginea
parentage) are usually more sun tolerant, and will generally be a good
choice for more southern locations.  seboldianas on the other hand , are
cool climate plants, and do best in more Northern locations.  So it is with
all Hosta varieties.  One should not assume that just because the plant is
for sale in a local supplier, that it will "do well" in his / her garden.