Hello out there

Greetings from west central Indiana, just north of Greencastle. I've
been lurking in the background thoroughly enjoying your comments and
conversations regarding hostas. Can you believe I "discovered" them
only last year? I have only 12 different ones at present, and
doubtless they would be very common ones to you all; but to me, I'm
the typical hosta-mother -- all mine are beautiful to me. I have a
little "hosta hill" begun so maybe I can collect another 12 this
year.

My house faces north, is a red cedar ranch with a 48' front porch. I
wish to have hostas across this span -- no evergreens. This is a new
house so we have a clean slate to work with. I have plenty of space
to work with depth-wise also, but I haven't gotten my plan narrowed
down to what type(s?) I want yet other than I'm partial to white
blooms and big, dark-green leaves.

I'm very interested in this planting as it will quite different from
the usual 'shrubs & geraniums' that I see in our area. I'd like it to
cause people to crank their necks around when driving by!  When
it comes to hostas, vanity is allowed, isn't it?

I'll keep "lurking" and reading and gaining more knowledge from you
all.  I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanking you in advance,
Sue Cornelius
suec@amy-answers.com