Re: TC and OS

To Joanne -
Yes there are tons of hostas out there that have never been in tc.  The tc
labs produce plants by the thousands and so do not bother with those that do
not sell in the thousands.  If you took the lists of the major labs and
eliminated the duplicates, there probably aren't more than a few hundred
varieties in tc out of the who knows how many are out there.  They seem to
stick to the new varieties and the old standards like 'Francee' and such that
are big sellers in the mass market.

To Jim -
There you go gettin scientific on us again.  Usin them big words don't scare
me none, cause I don't have to know what I'm talkin about to give my opinion.
Never have.

To Ran-
My thoughts on the Perennial Growers Assn policy - what good is a policy that
you know nobody is going to pay the least bit of attention to.  What nonsense.

I think that if this kind of information is going to be provided, it should
have some purpose, and therefore has to have some meaning that the reader
understands. If it doesn't help the customer in some way, its useless
information, and if the customer doesn't know what it means, it can't help
much.

The only time I can recall mentioning a plant as being OS is in my current
catalog in regard to 'Spilt Milk', and I did it because the tc plants of
'Spilt Milk' are variable to say the least, and in some cases worthless
(although I will say that Alex Summers gave me some of what he calls 'Green
Milk' and it ain't half bad).  In some cases, it does matter because there are
some plants that the labs can't seem to do well, but I would not pay an extra
dime for OS of 'Krossa Regal' because I don't think anybody could tell the
difference.

In most cases, I think well grown tc plants are just as good as divisions.

Chick