Re: Essay on Culls from Tissue Culture (Introduction)

Jim Hawes wrote:
> Dear Group,
> As promised, and because there is a little LULL in e-mail traffic and
> things are getting a little DULL, thought I would MULL over some ideas
> that we discussed previously...that of CULLS from Tissue Culture.
> Several points of view were expressed in recent e-mail posts on TC and
> OS. The general impression I received is that there is a wide range of
> differences of opinions about tissue culture and the plants that result.
> I must remind all that opinions are just that....opinions, including my
> own.
> One must look to the motives of the growers as well as those of the
> non-growers for clues of why they believe as they do. The motives of the
> two groups are different, thus their views about tc plantlets are
> different. Personally, as a collector and breeder, I am delighted to
> find the rare examples of sports from tc because they represent
> possibilities for new and exciting genotypes and phenotypes of hostas. I
> know of some who shop weekly at garden centers looking for off-types,
> culls and sports, especially streakies which represent potential breeder
> plants. I wish I could find them myself. Many of the most famous hostas
> today are tc sports including 'Striptease', 'Guardian Angel', 'Lady
> Isobel Barnett', 'Patriot','Guacamole', 'Winter Snow' and 'Ferris
> Wheel', so what is so bad about culls anyway? There certainly are
> tradeoffs which I have just identified.
> Now this is just the introduction to the Essay, folks,. I haven't gotten
> into the what, why,  how and the who of it all. But I will get to it in
> a later post. So if you will forgive me for now, I'll break it into
> several pieces and resume later. OK?
> Jim Hawes Oakland Md
> hawesj@gcnet.net
Jim--Chick and all
I am going to attempt to keep this simple so all , novices included, can
*******Jim is,no doubt,right in the assumption, that TC hostas , produce
sports, at the same rate as hostas not propigated using that method.  I
also completly agree, that no "magic" is occuring in the TC process..
There are some small conciderations , sich as "proliferation", which may
need to be discussed at some point, but I believe that TC divisions are
"natural " divisions!
Let me now take all of you through the process, as it really takes place.
**** We must first look at the typical plant that is likely to be put
into the TC process today.  Is will in the vast majority of cases, be a
plant that is, quite "new"  As is the case with most of these plants ( if
they are variegated) it may very well , NOT yet be completly "settled"
meaning that some parts of the plant have not yet devloped a uniform
pattern of verigation.  This places the one taking the basil bud, ( the
source of the material for aquiring the meristem for tissue culture) at
the beginning of responsibality for a lengthy chain of events, that must
take place before you buy your plant.  If the bud, or buds selected, are
not typical of the plant to be cultured, that can not be seen at this
stage, so a "poor" division may be entered into the process.
*******As Jim pointed out,During the verious stages of Tc processing,
"Sports" can appear.  These will , in most cases, affect the color layers
in the plant, so a solid color Hosta is unlikly to have changes that
"show".  Any "color sport" that appears early in the process, is likely
to be carried, and multiplied, through the whole process. As exact
variegation color is almost impossiable to verify in early stages, these
plants can not be "weeded out".
*******I believe the process of "Culling" is usually started ( in any
meaningful way) in stage three, (when the plants are getting ready to be
transfered to little cells for growing in a green house) The cu;;ing
process continues (in responsible labs) through the remaining time the
plant is being held.
******** The plant is carried by most labs through the process of
establishment,in "cells" then is shipped to a grower.  Here is where the
worst of the troubles becomes evident..  You need to understand-- at no
time during the process, could all the "culls" be recognized.  SOME WILL
BE SHIPPED TO THE GROWER !!!  Those who sell these plants to the public,
INCLUDING THE LABS !!!-- are guilty of prosecutable misrepresentation, if
they do not warn the buyer that he is taking a risk with his or her
purchase!!  It is part of the growing process and the real responsibility
of a grower , to "hold" and  grow these plants for a period of time that
will assure all parties that the plant is "true".
*******When ANYONE purchases a TC liner, that person should expect to run
a risk!!  No matter what you are told, a relitivly "high" number of these
little plants will not be the same as OS ( Original Stock)  for the
reasons pointed out above.
******* Jim's arguemant is right, but the net results are what count, and
those are, that, on average, in TC "liners" a higher percentage, (than in
"natural divisions) will be something other than a near "carbon copy" of
the original.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.