Bergenia cordifolia

Hi fellow plant enthusiasts,

A while back on one of the listserves I'm on, (I sure don't remember which
one) there was some discussion about Bergenias and I think the general
concensus was that they just didn't perform very good and not really worth
taking up space in the garden.

For those of you that DO grow them still, how are they doing THIS spring?
Mine are blooming beautifully right now (after nary a bloom last year) and
the old leaves don't look too ratty either.  This was a mild winter, but then
so was LAST winter.  I can't remember what kind of snow coverage we had last
winter, but this winter it wasn't alot. hmmmm..

Here's another puzzle, for such a mild winter (zone 5 here when we normally
have zone 4, or even 3 sometimes) I have lost some plants that I haven't
before, and my hardy Canadian shrub rose "Morden Blush' suffered alot of die
back and my creeping thyme looks worse than it ever has.  Did we have a wet
fall? a dry fall?

Any observations and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a