re: Bergenia cordifolia

> A while back on one of the listserves I'm on, (I sure don't remember
> one) there was some discussion about Bergenias and I think the general
> concensus was that they just didn't perform very good and not really
> taking up space in the garden.
> For those of you that DO grow them still, how are they doing THIS spring?
> Mine are blooming beautifully right now (after nary a bloom last year)
> the old leaves don't look too ratty either.  This was a mild winter, but
> so was LAST winter.  I can't remember what kind of snow coverage we had
> winter, but this winter it wasn't alot. hmmmm..

I'm rather a fan of Bergenias and they do seem to do OK for me (zone 4).
Mine are up and in bloom for the last week. I have a grouping of them under
a small tree, along a pathway. I like their unusual leaves - one of mine is
absolutely huge - and the fact that they green up so fast in the spring.

Susan Little DVM
Diplomate ABVP (Feline)
Bytown Cat Hospital
Ottawa, Canada