The debates linger...

             Re: George Bush
             Sat, 11 Nov 2000 22:25:11 -0600
             andrewl <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
             1 , 2

Hi Beth,
RE:>>I really think it says it all that Gore cannot win the vote from Tennessee

or Arkansas.
Yes, and there is also a lot of truth to the phrase, "some people don't have
the brains that God gave a monkey".  How could you NOT vote for your "favorite
son"?   Morons.  Like anybody else on the ballot would do more for their state
than the candidate from their own state?  And I don't care whether you're
Democratic or Republic--to not vote for your favorite son shows either
incredible ignorance or an inexplicable predisposition toward committing
political suicide.   Now of course, I will open myself up for the tongue
lashing of a lifetime by our friends in Tennessee (who didn't vote for Al
Gore?), but I'm just saying it would be a cold day in Hell before I wouldn't
see the brilliance in supporting the candidate from my home state.

(For those who tire quickly of my long dissertations... you may want to just
hit the delete key at this juncture...)

I do believe that old George was holding his own on this Florida vote debacle,
until the major faux pax I just heard on the news tonight--petitioning the
court for injunctive relief to prohibit a manual recount of the votes (in West
Palm Beach County?).  Why would you NOT want to allow the actual votes to be
tallied at this point?  Bad move.  Incredibly stupid move.  The longer this
goes on, the higher the probably that one of these two will make a major
mistake, committing hari kari or opening mouth and inserting foot--crosswise.
This may have just happened.   We will have to wait and see... but there is no
doubt in my mind that George just blinked... and made a major mistake.

As for the interesting quotes by GWB, I'm sure someone could come up with a
whole bunch of stupid stuff that Al said.  In fact, he may have the upper hand
on impromtu bloopers.  But we're not trying to elect the most brilliant
speaker, we're trying to elect a President.  They don't have to be smart but
they do have to be excellent at leading, and being smart enough to surround
themselves wth brilliant people in their administation.  And these people must
be able to tolerate a President's occassional foot-in-mouth tendencies and to
get them to NOT talk in public, so that we can see them as the brilliant
polished people that their cabinets, and the American people need them to be.
We DON't want them to be human.  We want them to be larger than life.   Their
press secretaries--now there is another matter.--these are the people who have
to be polished speakers and must be both quick on their feet, and witty.    I
read all of those statements of GWB's and ....

...it was not the bloopers that GW would say from time to time that made me
cast my vote away from him.   It was his statement in one debate that he was a
"pragmatist"; that HIS way to help cure the oil crisis was to extract more oil
from the Alaskan oil fields.  I wanted him to say that the money that we might
expend to increase the oil production in Alaska should be directed instead
toward "new research into alternative fuels, into new energy conservation
plans, and into science and new research programs in our schools and
universities".  And, "if the current, properous oil companies won't do the
research, then the Federal Government will find Universities who will".
Unfortunately, the private sector is bound by Wall Street to limit their
investment that won't produce a quick ROI.

No matter how great the world's oil reserves, it is still a finite quantity.
What we need to do is find new technologies that will enable development of
hydrogen or solar energy-powered cars, not ways to make the big gas companies
even more profitable over the short term.   I was undecided until that point
but that statement lost my vote.  Now I'll sit back and take my lumps (from
this list) for confessing my voting sin.    However, I DO believe that I did
enough research on the candidates to feel good about my vote.   Thanks to Bob
Axemear for posting that URL about campaign contributions and their origin, as
well.  A review of that material also helped to convince me that I would defect

from my registered party for my vote, at least the Presidential level.  I did
vote for a number of other republicans.

The electoral college is antiquated and needs to be scrapped.  Let the popular
vote elect our president, just as the popular vote elects all other
officials.    Here is an interesting site with a review of what is going on in
the Federal Government to help reduce costs and increase effectiveness and
efficiency.  http://www.govexec.com/features/0100/0100s1.htm   Old Bill may
have been one really blatant womanizer, but what he lacked in common sense and
moral fiber he made up for with his brilliance in other areas.   Afterall, how
many of YOUR friends know that there are multiple meanings to the word "is".

Now, about those Hostas...

Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman            http://hostahaven.com
HostaHaven.com                       mailto:andrewl@hostahaven.com
1250 41st Street                     515-274-0300 voice
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516