The "Favorite Son" fails to impress at home....

Hi Beth,
RE:>>I really think it says it all that Gore cannot win the
vote from Tennessee

or Arkansas.
--------
Yes, and there is also a lot of truth to the phrase, "some
people don't have
the brains that God gave a monkey".  How could they NOT vote
for their "favorite
son"?   Morons.  As if anybody else on the ballot would do
more for their state
than the candidate from their own state?  And I don't care
whether you're
Democratic or Republic--to not vote for your favorite son
shows either
incredible ignorance or an inexplicable predisposition
toward committing
political suicide.   Now of course, I will open myself up
for the tongue
lashing of a lifetime by our friends in Tennessee (who
didn't vote for Al
Gore?), but I'm just saying it would be a cold day in Hell
before I wouldn't
see the brilliance in supporting the candidate from my home
state.

(For those who tire quickly of long dissertations... you may
want to just
hit the delete key at this juncture...)

I do believe that old George was holding his own on this
Florida vote count debacle,
until the major faux pax I just heard on the news
tonight--petitioning the
court for injunctive relief to prohibit a manual recount of
the votes (in West
Palm Beach County?).  Why would you NOT want to allow the
actual votes to be
tallied at this point?  Bad move.  Real bad.  Incredibly
stupid move.  The longer this
went on, the higher the probably that one of these two will
make a major
mistake, committing hari kari by opening mouth and inserting
foot--crosswise.
This just happened, in the form of this petition.  We will
have to wait and see... but there is no
doubt in my mind that George just blinked... and/or made a
major mistake.

As for the interesting quotes by GWB (via Jennifer), I'm
sure someone could come up with a
whole bunch of stupid stuff that Al said.  In fact, he may
have the upper hand
on impromtu bloopers.  But we're not trying to elect the
most brilliant
speaker, we're trying to elect a President.  They don't have
to be smart but
they do have to be excellent at leading, and being smart
enough to surround
themselves wth brilliant people in their administation.  And
these people must
be able to tolerate a President's occassional foot-in-mouth
tendencies and to
get them to NOT talk in public, so that we can see them as
the brilliant
polished people that their cabinets, and the American people
need them to be.
We DON't want them to be human.  We want them to be larger
than life.   Their
press secretaries--now there is another matter.--these are
the people who have
to be polished speakers and must be both quick on their
feet, and witty.    I
read all of those statements of GWB's and ....

...it was not the bloopers that GW would say from time to
time that made me
cast my vote away from him.   It was his statement in one
debate that he was a
"pragmatist"; that HIS way to help cure the oil crisis was
to extract more oil
from the Alaskan oil fields.  I wanted him to say that the
money that we might
expend to increase the oil production in Alaska should be
directed instead
toward "new research into alternative fuels, into new energy
conservation
plans, and into science and new research programs in our
schools and
universities".  And, "if the current, properous oil
companies won't do the
research, then the Federal Government will find Universities
who will".
Unfortunately, the private sector is bound by Wall Street to
limit their
investment that won't produce a quick ROI.

No matter how great the world's oil reserves, it is still a
finite quantity.
What we need to do is find new technologies that will enable
development of
hydrogen or solar energy-powered cars, not ways to make the
big gas companies
even more profitable over the short term.   I was undecided
until that point
but that statement lost my vote.  Now I'll sit back and take
my lumps (from
this list) for confessing my voting sin.    However, I DO
believe that I did
enough research on the candidates to feel good about my
vote.   Thanks to Bob
Axemear for posting that URL about campaign contributions
and their origin, as
well.  A review of that material also helped to convince me
that I would defect
from my registered party for my vote, at least the
Presidential level.  I did
vote for a number of other republicans.

The electoral college is antiquated and needs to be
scrapped.  Let the popular
vote elect our president, just as the popular vote elects
all other
officials.    Here is an interesting site with a review of
what is going on in
the Federal Government to help reduce costs and increase
effectiveness and
efficiency.
http://www.govexec.com/features/0100/0100s1.htm   Old Bill
may
have been one really blatant womanizer, but what he lacked
in common sense and
moral fiber he made up for with his brilliance.  Afterall,
how
many of YOUR friends know all of the meanings for the word
"is".
LOL!!!

Now, about those Hostas...

Andrew