Re: Political stuff

I will make one political statement.  After listing to the news this evening, this may not be over by this time next week.
Jim A.
----- Original Message -----
From: andrewl
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: Political stuff

Hi Beth,
It really is amazing how people can come at this from such different perspectives.   You really believe that big corporations have any interest in your well being?  Wowzer... Rush Limbaugh would be pleased...

Take a look at this site for info on the Dow Jones averages.   http://averages.dowjones.com/home.html   Here they say such things as; "In the decade since it began -- on Oct. 11, 1990, by the reckoning of many  stock-market gurus -- the total value of all U.S. stocks has soared to $15 trillion from $3 trillion. Investors' appetite for stock has become so voracious that, despite the market's black eye this year, they have bought a record $72.3 billion in new stock  issues this year, compared with a trifling $4.5 billion in 1990. Today, for the first time ever, half of all American households own stock, compared with just one-third of  households in 1989".

While the natioal debt increased a whoping $4,383,000,000 from 1981 to 1993 (the Reagan Bush years), the increase from 1993 to 2001 was $1,263,000,000.  In the last fiscal year, the national debt has actually been reduced by a little over $100 Billion.   See this site for more info - http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/opd/opdpenny.htm

I think the country will continue to enjoy performance like this--made possible by a Democratic President balanced by a Congress that has a very small Republican majority.  I personally like this balance and believe it is good for the country.   I believe you would find that NO Congressional representatives, or Senators, back the Bush tax reduction plan.  It is entirely too agreessive and we need to continue to pay down the national debt IF we are to stimulate the economy.    This is one reason that Al Gore won the popular vote and one reason that he is currently only 8 electoral votes shy of winning the electoral college vote.  Not because Al is that great of a candidate, but because the country likes having a Democrat in the President's office to help balance out the Congress.  The Gore plan was to pay off the national debt by 2012.  The Bush plan had no projected date.   Why?  Because he would rather give the money back to us so that we could go blow it on pizza...

One exciting part apart this conversation is that it will all be over by this time next week.  Then Viva la Hosta!!!

Andrew L.

Beth Arnold wrote:

I think you'll find a near doubling of total valuation of the DOW in the eight years under President Clinton  Sorry, you will never convince me that Clinton had anything to do with the doubling of the DOW.  This Clinton/Gore Administration also had nothing to do with the economy either.  Anyone and everyone should know that the economy has to do with the businesses and the people in this country, not any president.  A tax cut puts more money back into the pockets of the people to spend which makes business better.  The largest tax increase on the people in history came at the hands of the Clinton/Gore Adm. in 1992 or 1993, my memory on the year eludes me at the moment.  This is where the surplus came from and this was part of the plan.  People have short memories. I think you'll find a near doubling of total valuation of the DOW in the eight years under President Clinton THis has stuck in my brain and I must admit it does sound good but I must see if I can find more statistics pertaining to this matter. What and how many sources do you use for your information?Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5