Re: hostas, for a change

In a message dated 11/20/00 11:50:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

<< Is there a program available that would tie zip codes to USDA zonal maps.
 This seems like it would help organize packing and shipping schedules to
 coincide with safe outdoor planting times for cold sensitive plants anywhere
 in the USA. It would at least give you target dates.

 Probably a very old idea.

Dan, I received my order from white flower farm last year one month before
the last traditional frost date.  Around the beginning of April.  All bare
root hostas.  A friend said put them in the garage as the ground was still
frozen and it would be hopeless to try to plant.  Two weeks later the blue
hostas were moldy and rotted.  They did not replace them with blue, but
albo-marginata.

I had an argument with the people at White Flower about what zone I am in.
By my own judgment we are zone 5 with frost until the second week of May.
The USDA zonal map gives us a zone 6 I believe.  We have rivers and mountains
and valleys around here and lots of micro zones.  People just twenty miles
across the river into KY have a three week earlier spring.

Glad I did not spend much money, but I have to think twice before ordering
from White Flower again.  I would pot the plants up if I were doing it again,
but it was twenty plants and too much trouble for cheap hostas.  I am still
looking for real cheap blue hostas for contrast in the land lab at school.

I understand Chick's reasoning behind the zone and shipping thing (one of the
few things that he has said lately that makes sense to me, but I live in the
mecca of the conservative party, shucks it takes two years for a fashion
change here in Cinti)  It is a real good place to raise hostas and kids
though.  N.