*TOYOZO NAKAYAMA HOSTA SEED* <<< a disclaimer >>>

  • To: (Recipient list suppressed)
  • Subject: *TOYOZO NAKAYAMA HOSTA SEED* <<< a disclaimer >>>
  • From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:06:28 -0500

Betsy Mahtani in Oklahoma, who is heading up the Seed Bank, has advised me,
that email-reservations to herself, are arriving via Internet ***reserving
the Toyozo Nakayama seed***
                                     IN LIGHT OF THE ABOVE ...and...
Frstly, I'm thinking:
                         ..that we may have a misunderstanding of sorts
here, related to this Japan-connected seed; and therefore, I would like to
set this record straight, and explain the very nature of this Japanese seed.
          Please be advised, this seed was not collected in Japan by Toyozo
Nakayama!  It was collected from my 'Japanese Seedling Beds' right here in
Guelph.  The seed which provided for these seedlings did however, come from
some very special Toyozo Nakayama seed-collections, done in Japan, over the
years I've known him (1995).
           All of this Japanese-connected seed, which I will be sending
into the Oki'Seed'Bank for dispersal, is in fact: the F2 seedling
generation of plants, grown from the seeds which Toyozo Nakayama of Japan
so kindly sent me, over the years.
          As a further example; to explain exactly what I'm talking about;
in a more precise fashion, and using a variety which I've already
mentioned: (AND A SEED ITEM which is going into the seed-bank in Oklahoma!)

Case in point sample (below?) --  "how the future
Japan-Connection-Seed-List will be displayed"

CODE-NUMBER  > NAME     > DESCRIPTION  >Objective & Potential

TN.34.99         > AKANE GIBOSHI  (word translations into English)  GIBOSHI
= hosta.  AKA = red/scarlet/crimson; NE = like.  A hybrid derivative from
the sieboldii species.  Has reddish-coloring in florets; and was a popular
hosta in Japan, prior to the introduction on H. Kokuryu; which is another,
sieboldii derived red-in-floret type.  The flower morphology is
different.  I believe, Toyozo has shown these florets via
hostapix@egroups.com list-server? Potential: reappearance of the AKA (red?)
florets in it's seedlings?  Open-pollinated seed.

I'm not exactly finished with my seed preparations of the Japanese
Collections yet, but seed of the above sample (AKANE) and possibly a few
others, will be mailed into the 'Oklahoma Seed Bank' ..THIS
WEEK!  Quantity: is very very limited; it is sold on a first come first
served basis, and until it is sold out.  Substitution of similar priced
items will be made, wherever/whenever an item is sold out.  Price for Akane
is $5.00 (per 1/4 teaspoon), and I don't know if the Oklahoma Group is
putting a seed-restriction on quantity one can buy? ..personally, I'm not!
..and don't care? :)

Once again, this is (filial two seedling generation seed <<F2>>)); taken
from the F1 hosta seedlings, which were grown right here, from specific &
special Toyozo Nakayama seed-collections done in Japan.   This is not seed,
picked in Japan!

Toyozo Nakayama, has kindly given me permission to share seed from his
seedlings growing in Guelph; and for this, I think we need give Toyozo a big...
                                          < HUG ...and say >

              hosta sincerely yours
"Bill Nash Guelph Ontario Canada Zone 4" <raffi@sympatico.ca>