Re: Catalpa Tree

In a message dated 11/5/2001 5:27:04 AM Pacific Standard Time, gw1944@vermontel.net writes:

Does anybody have experience with this tree? It sounds special..too big for
my plot,

Perhaps not ... if you're willing to do some severe pruning each year. There's a catalpa in the perennial border at the U of I master gardeners' plot. Each spring it's given a very hard pruning back. The result is a tree that's dwarf in height with the most gorgeous leaves. There's no bloom due to the severe pruning. It's beautiful and adds a lot to the border. I'm intending to plant one this coming spring and follow the same process.