-----Original Message-----
From:	Glen Williams [SMTP:gw1944@vermontel.net]
Sent:	Monday, November 05, 2001 8:25 AM
To:	hosta-open@mallorn.com
Subject:	Catalpa Tree

  I had been sorting hosta seeds last night until I was a little crazy so I
decided to pick up a mystery. Part way into it I came across  a botanical
reference which I  found fascinating.  The reference in question was to the
Catalpa tree. The author made the claim that the tree lost all of its giant
leaves at one time, literally....like dominoes. In fact the occasion of the
dropping of the leaves was used as a device to  distract a character from
actually seeing something else.   I  found the tree in  two of my reference
books, but could find no mention of this characteristic. It sounds like a
fascinating tree and apparently  grows well in North America.  After
bagging leaves for the last 4 weeks  I like the idea of a tree which can
make a real commitment to winter in one fell (fall) swoop...pun intended.
Does anybody have experience with this tree? It sounds special..too big for
my plot, but I might try and convince a neighbor who has some
space....after all he has a great deal of experience with my leaves
already. Blessed be the North Wind.

"If only words would keep their meaning and live up to their promise...or
is it me?"
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont