Re: Pod Development

  • Subject: Re: Pod Development
  • From: "Bill Nash" raffi@sympatico.ca
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:26:37 -0500

>>>--- HI Butch, et al ---->> Generally speaking, and especially, with
outdoor hosta seed collection (early season bloomers?)  if the bottom pod is
split open; and usually, one or two seed pods higher up on the scape;
possibly even the very top pod, shows splitting, hence, everyone does
generally just cut the whole scape in gathering seeds --assuming (justly
so?) -- that all pods contain fully ripened seeds.  THAT'S OKAY?

However, Glen Williams and myself, were talking about INDOOR
seed-pollination/ripening; and most particularly, using those hosta-types
which bloom late in the growing season (flowering late August and into
September, possibly still blooming in October even?).  Much, if not all of
this pollination is done indoors; and this pod-setting and seed-ripening,
can be very irregular, to say the least.  There must be a tremendous
shock-factor, when plants are dug & potted up and brought indoors for seed
production; and meaning that, the bloom-period becomes irregular by this
moving, from the stress-factors of the move?  To couner-act the shock
factors related to plant growth & flowering, upon moving these late season
flowering types, well, I've simply added fluorescent lighting (using non
stop light?)  above the window shelf, where these plants are sitting for
their seed production..  With the indoor flower-pollination and ripening of
these seeds, there could very well be a month's time difference, on the
pod-setting of the first (bottom pod?) and the last one on the top.  If and
when, this is the case, then it makes sense to allow more time for upper
pods to become ripened, that is to say, to not cut the whole spike off,
unless one is absolutely sure the top pods contain matured seeds (via seeing
pods having become yellow/brown, showing slits on them and so on?).

Glen Williams (with his indoor hand-pollination of Katsuragawa hosta?) had
mentioned, that the upper pods did not look ripe for picking, therefore, it
made sense to me, that more time is needed to allow these pods to ripen

An indoor hosta flower-pollination and seed-ripening process, is very tricky
to do successfully; due to indoor growing conditions not being optimal  --
and comparing to -- ideal growing environment outdoors?

In conclusion Butch, I would concur with you, that collection of hosta seeds
OUTDOORS (with the earlier season bloomers?) is a matter of whole flower
spike pod-cutting, being successful as to seed ripeness and plant sprouting
being good.  However, when one is doing indoor pollination & seed maturing,
IMHO (in my honest opinion) this is a whole different story and procedure,
as to the harvest of lower-pods and the upper seed pods.  As I wrote above,
there could very well be a month's time difference, as to bottom and
top-pod-setting.  If we apply Mr. Zonneveld's 10-week seed-is-ripe rule, and
cut the whole pod-spike, then this could mean, that the top pods only have a
seed ripeness factor of 5/6 weeks; and which, may not be fully ripened seeds
as yet?  WE NEED TO WAIT LONGER, before cutting the top pods -- don't you
think? ;>) *wink*

Just wanted to clarify, Butch, indoor hosta seed-production, using late
season blooming hostas, is not really comparable to early season flowering
hostas and seed collection done outdoors?  I DO CONCUR WITH YOU THO' -- on
your suggestion -- of cutting full podded scapes on those early flowering
types, but I don't think this applies at all to *THE INDOOR PROCEDURE* and
mostly, when we are talking about pollinating and ripening seed on
September/October bloomers?

<just my humor-orientated opinion> PLEASE IGNORE ME.. if you will?

BILL NASH raffi@sympatico.ca
and regarding...