Re: Hosta Cultivars

Hooijer wrote:
> Hi All,
> Study the booklet of B.Zonneveld "Hosta Sports", I see that sports can found
> as shoots from existing plants  Mixing some
> genetic material and than? Is there somewhere an article about this issue in
> "normal language". Not to much scientific ?
> Henk
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------Hank
Since you have brought the "book" by Ben Z into the picture, I will
comment on it.  It is a essentially a copy of material already in
existance.  Some credited to the person(s) who actually did the research,
and some simply stolen, and then ,amasingly, copyrighted, as though it
were all his.  Some of the information in the "publication" is badly
flawed. Jim Hawes, Alex Summers, Mark Zilis and Pete Ruh, are among those
who have expressed dismay at the number of mistakes. I guess that it
should tell us something.  A good hosta reference, is going to cost more
than five dollars.
Now to your question.  Many Hostas we grow today, were "natural" sports
that occured in the garden.  Plants such as Frances Williams and Francee,
are examples.  Tissue Culture was non existant as a Hosta propigation
tool when these plants were brought into the market. This is true of a
large number of the plants even today.  Some of my selections such as
Lunar Orbit, and Saybrook Surprise, are sports that originate in my
garden.  The process , however, is the same no matter where it takes
place.  If you want a highly complex process, to be reduced to "simple"
language  you are asking for to much.  You can get a copy of the Hosta
Wheels, and it will shown there in a kind of basic visual format.  Jim
Hawes has explained this in one or two articles of the hosta Journal
about two years ago.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens