Re: gore

As a person with a disability, I am concerned as to what the next
president will be doing that will affect me.  Below are two articles
which explain some about both men.  I will take my chances with Gore.
Mary
ADAPT Tells Republicans and Bush -- Nothing About Us Without Us
October 3, 2000

Washington, D.C. - Disability doesn't discriminate between Democrats
and Republicans, and neither does ADAPT, the national disability
rights organization.

500 ADAPT activists filled and surrounded the Republican Party
National Headquarters late this afternoon in order to gain a meeting
with the elusive Republican Presidential candidate George W. Bush.

"According to the polls, Mr. Bush needs all the votes he can get,"
said Bob Kafka, national ADAPT Organizer from Bush's home state of
Texas. "He has yet to meet with any national organization controlled
by and representing people with disabilities despite the fact that
there are 54 million of us in the United States. That's quite a voting
block, and with this year's strong emphasis on getting our community
registered, and to the polls on election day, there's no question that
we have the power to decide this election."

ADAPT, along with allies from other organizations who were in
Washington for the "March for Justice" rally and march to the Supreme
Court, took on the Republicans and Bush for spouting disability policy
and putting forth a disability agenda without having first consulted
the disability community. "We want Bush and the Republican Party to
know that we will not tolerate anyone's patronizing us by deciding in
a vacuum what's in our 'best interest'". Said Marva Ways, ADAPT
Organizer from Detroit, Michigan. "The bottom line is 'Nothing About
Us Without Us'!"

Earlier in the Presidential race, the disability community faulted the
Bush Campaign for having an inaccessible website. To date Bush hasn't
even publicly endorsed the ADA, which his father fought for, signed
into law, and continues to support, as indicated by his participation
in a pro-ADA amicus brief in the Garrett case which is being heard by
the U.S. Supreme Court on October 11.

Meanwhile Green Party candidate Ralph Nader, in consultation with
persons with disabilities has issued a widely touted disability
position paper, and the Gore campaign has endorsed the ADA and
continues to meet with disability organizations. "Bush better smarten
up and ask us to the table to hear what's important to us, or our
votes will most assuredly beat him in the 2000 election," promised
Kafka.
Steinem stumps for Gore
Updated 12:00 PM ET
October 3, 2000
By Mandy Yost
The Post

(U-WIRE) ATHENS, Ohio -- Gloria Steinem, a well-known author and
activist for the women's rights movements, joined another movement
this fall -- electing Vice President Al Gore. Steinem and Rep. Eleanor
Holmes Norton, D-D.C., held a conference call Monday to discuss the
election's influence on the Supreme Court and why Gore should be
president. Alison Friedman, director of student outreach for Gore's
campaign, moderated the forum.

Because the president could choose as many as four of the nine Supreme
Court justices, the winner of the upcoming election might determine if
cases are decided conservatively or liberally. "Legislation on gay
rights, hate crimes, rights of the disabled -- all of these hang in
the balance," Steinem said.

In the 45-minute call, Norton stressed that electing the Republican
candidate, Texas Gov. George W. Bush, will result in a loss of
personal freedoms. "Most Americans are beginning to get concerned that
the intellectual leadership is coming from (Justice) Antonin Scalia
and his minion, (Justice) Clarence Thomas," Norton said. "Bush has
said he wants more justices like Scalia and Thomas."

Steinem described what qualities a person could look for in voting for
Gore. "If people want to be safe against hate crimes, if they are
concerned about the environment, if they are concerned about the
rights of the disabled -- and we will likely all be disabled for some
point in our lives - if they are concerned about reproductive freedom,
then they must vote for Gore," Steinem said.

While crime, gay rights and the environment were mentioned, abortion
stayed near the conversation's surface. The Food and Drug
Administration's approval Thursday of the RU-486 abortion pill and
Bush's opposition to it propelled some of the discourse. "Gov. Bush
has not only come out against RU-486, but also against giving
contraceptives to minors," Friedman said.

When questioned about Gore's flip-flop on abortion, Steinem defended
him as flexible. "We need someone who can change and grow. He changed
his mind while he was in Congress and has been a stalwart ever since.
I think there's absolutely no question on this," she said.

Norton explained that Gore would not have been well-received in
Tennessee if he had been staunchly pro-choice. "The district where Al
Gore came from was one where you'd be slaughtered if you were
straight-out pro-choice," Norton said. "He was never anti-choice."

Norton also defended the Clinton administration's decision to release
30 million barrels of crude oil from the nation's emergency reserves
to help lower heating bills this winter, especially in New England, as
non-political and in line with Gore's environmental beliefs. "It was
essentially an emergency measure. Congress is going out of session and
this was the time to act. Clearly, Gore hadn't acted politically
because he's already doing well (in New England)," she said.