Mulch-corn stalks

Hi all garden mulchers,   I live in S.Minn. in the middle of endless
corn fields and it never ocurred to me until this morning that those
corn stalks might make good, free mulch, if run through the
chipper/shredder!  It takes so many leaves, shredded to make any
quantity of mulch and it's a lot of work to get the branches run
through our little chipper.  So I went out and got a wheel barrow
full of corn stalks, and ran them the shredder.  It made beautiful
fluffy mulch, not too fine, and I think it would break down fast like
leaves and not have to worry about robbing nitrogen like wood chips.
QUESTION:  Has anyone on the list tried this and were you happy with
the results?  Pros? Cons?  If I don't learn any negatives, I will go
ahead and try it and let you all know next year how it works.  Linda