Re: maple roots

Yes, faster; than you think, they will strangle all your hostas.  I speak as
the voice of experience.  We did that, and filled the bed with good compost,
fertilizer, etc. The maple tree had a feast and sent those roots up so fast.
We wondered what was killing the hostas. Then came Hosta College.   There was
a man there, Alexander J. Keenan from Batavia, Ohio who made Hosta bags and
gave a talk on using the tree bags under maples.  He has a website.  It is
WWW.HOSTAENVIRONMENT.COM    We dug out all the hostas that were left,
replaced those killed, and replanted them in the hosta bags!  They are doing
fairly well.  This fall, after the hostas go dormant, we have decided to
remove the big maple.  Contact Mr. Keenan.  He is a wealth of information

Freddy Schaefer