Re: Dormancy

----- Original Message -----
From: <LakesideRM@aol.com>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>; <PHOENIX_HOSTA_ROBIN@home.ease.lsoft.com>
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 1:56 PM
Subject: Dormancy

> .. Ran wrote.... "Just as Hostas in the south, tend to go dormant after
> bloom stage has been reached, so will your " early starts"
>
> Ran I believe it depends on the length of growing time that is available
and
> the amount of water etc.  I have seedlings that were planted last Oct that
> are in their second bloom season and have not been dormant. >
> As Ran has said, we are stretching the limits by growing hosta in the
South.
> Perhaps some other southern growers can comment on what they have observed
> in their hosta's seasonal cycles and then those comments can be compared
> what is seen in northern growers.

>Mary
 I understand that not all Hostas in more southern areas "go dormant" once
the flowering cycle has been completed.  If the plant is a seedling, that
has not yet entered it's first complete seasonal cycle,  It is often
posiable to keep it vigurously growing through a "second season".  In most
cases involving mature plants, the addtional growth, and "rebloom' is
actually buds having been "forced" ( into foliage)that had devloped for the
next year.  Because of the kinds and selections of hostas for southern
areas, those particular plants are more likely to be uniquely able to make a
second flush.  On the other hand with the plants that are more "northern"
oriented , seboldianas, Tokudamas and their protigany for instance are much
less likely to show the re-growth, re-bloom tendancy.  So if one was going
to try to " get ahead" by forcing, that person would need first to study
carefully the natural "restrictions" inherant in that particular Hosta.  I
too am very intrested in how " forcing" and other methods of "pushing" and
bud increase, affect the ultimate plant preformance.  I have made note of
this before, but it seems to be a general fact, that Hosta plants in the
more southern areas , tend to be smaller overall, and as we saw at the
convention gardens in Minnasota, the plants in areas with a long and intense
dormncy, are noticably larger.  I did note an intresting exception, though.
In Min. the plantigenia group, including most of the fragrant varieties,
were not as good, as I can grow them here, as I bet not as big as you see
them in your area.
Thanks
Ran