Re: Border Collies for Deer Control

On the other hand, if you want a dog to protect your hostas, I recommend
that you do not get a Westhighland White Terrier.  Mine finds hostas
delicious.  We grow stock plants of our largest varieties, things the size
of Sum and Substance, in 25 gallon tree pots, which are bigger than half
whisky barrels and take two people to lift.  Our dog will actually jump up
in the pots, break off the leaves at the bottom of the petiole and sit there
and eat them like a stalk of celery.  She also has a game she made up that's
called "Lets grab a pot with an expensive hosta in it and run and jump with
it til the soil is everywhere and the plant is a mess and then we might as
well eat it."

Jim, does your dog stay out all night?  I guess border collies are smart
enough that they wouldn't chase the deer until they couldn't find their way
back home.  I'm not so sure any of our dogs are bright enough.

Chick