Re: Border Collies for Deer Control

In a message dated 10/21/00 10:14:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hawesj@atlantic.net writes:

<< So by now, there are perhaps many other hosta gardeners with Border
 Collies protecting their owner's investment and hard work. Could we see
 a show of hands ( or a brief description of your experiences...good or

Jim, that sounds so wonderful!  Truly man's best friend.  Here is Southwest
Ohio everyone tries to go up in Ohio near the central part to buy their
Border Collies from the Amish who raise them as working dogs and occasionally
will have one or two from a litter to.  I have a friend who just acquired one
to mind her horses, and it also keeps her feet warm at night.

I have also heard of several who have acquired their Borders through rescues
because believe it or not some think that these dogs can be kept as lap dogs
and don't understand their need to work.  Puppies are wonderful but if one
can save a dog from a rescue how wonder that would be.

Jim, glad you solved the problem in such a wonderful way.