Re: Observation........

  • Subject: Re: Observation........
  • From: "Jean Carpenter" <backhoe@ipa.net>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 22:14:31 -0500

I moved a year and a half ago and have 99 % of my hosta still in pots.  I overwinter them in the pots and bury the pots up to the rim in sawdust.  I didn't lose any in our zone 5 winter that we had last year.  We usually have only zone 6 but had an extremely cold winter last year.  They are still in pots because we are in the process of building another house and I don't want to have to dig and move them twice.  Hope to have them all in the ground next spring. I feed mine Osmocote and do not water them at all during the winter.  I do water during dry spells in the fall but after it turns cold they get no extra water.
    Related subject:  Does anyone grow Island Charm?  I have managed so far to kill 7 of them.  Any secrets to success?
Jean