RE: Observation

  • Subject: RE: Observation
  • From: "Mary Chastain" <MC_hosta@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 19:08:56 -0400

Bill I agree with most of your post but can not understand why you feel a large root system could be bad.  I feel that it is the strong roots that give strong plants plus more increase in crowns.  The time that the plant is transferred to the garden has a big affect on the root system for the next season. Down here our hostas grow new roots from  mid May through June. Planting after that  that usually means that the plant will wait the until next year before adding much to the root system so if planted late the plant may not do as well the first full year in the ground.  Like any perennial the first year  usually shows little growth compared to the second.  If I have to choose between large strong roots or smaller ones the small ones are left every time.  I even consider the size of roots when I am selecting young seedlings.
I have discovered that the reason some plants don't transplant as well is because the person that buys the plant places it in the garden without cleaning the potting soil from the roots. That is bad and can cause all kinds of problems. I always tell them that if they want to use the soil mix in the container to mix it well with the garden soil.
We always add trace elements to our potting soil if it is not added at the factory. At present we are using Bio-Comp mix which has been developed to keep down aphids, and other pest. This year for the first time I had almost no cutworm. It also fights rot and other disease.