Re: Observation

  • Subject: Re: Observation
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 22:07:22 -0400

Hi Mary,
       The reason I think a large root system could be bad is that the roots seem adapted to the soil they are growing in. That's why the roots on a plant grown in the ground are so much different than the roots of one grown in a pot. If a plant is pushed the way Chick described the Mobjack plant, they develop a huge root system, but one that is adapted to the highly unusual Rain-Forest-like growing conditions in the nursery. If these plants are taken home and put in the ground, some varieties seem to have a lot of trouble adapting to the new conditions. I've seen large, healthy looking gallon-pot size plants transplanted to the ground by well-known hosta gardeners in June lose all their leaves within a month. These plants haven't rotted, and they send up new top growth and get going again, but by the following year they are much smaller than they would have been had they adapted better.
        The artificially large root systems of heavily pushed plants are the exception to the rule about larger root systems. Normally bigger is better, and if those plants are not transplanted into the ground, it probably wouldn't be a problem there. With seedlings I've found too that plants with similar size tops often have widely varying sized roots under them. I wonder if some seedlings have more efficient root systems. Have you noticed whether the size of the root system on a seedling directly cooresponds to how it grows eventually?
                                                                                      .............Bill Meyer