RE: Observation

  • Subject: RE: Observation
  • From: "Mary Chastain" <MC_hosta@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:40:10 -0400

Bill I am not guilty of forcing plants. To be honest I don't buy plants that have been forced. Down here (  I will discuss here because that is what I have discovered) growers do what I consider to be a no no. They divide plants in Jan. Pot them. Through them in a green house with a lot of fertilizer and water. In other words force them. That is about as bad as using BAP on a plant before selling it. The plant they offer for sale looks great but next year it is much smaller. The buyer is unhappy. The result are often good for me because they buy from me the next time. The time of potting and the age of the plant plays a big difference in how well the plant will perform in the garden. I don't believe is selling TC that is not mature and has been graded at least 2 to 3 years. In other words the grower should be sure that it is true to type, strong and healthy.  I feel that in impossible when small plants are sold. The buyer may save a few dollars but it is a gamble as to what he or she may get.
There are some seedlings that develop a great root system. Those that do the best are ready for two gallon containers by the first of June. They will often have two flowering times the first year. I have discovered that the pod parent influences the growth of the seedling. For example I can count on at least 2/3 of the seedlings from certain parents will give me the great growth that I want.  For the past three years I have paid special attention to some of these. As new lines develop I watch to see what is happening. Some may get a little slower start but  with the roots they soon catch and pass those that are more top and less root. For example the past two years, I have worked with a new line of streaked blue plants all from the same parent. They were slow to come up and get started but the roots were strong and by mid summer they were ahead of others. I am really excited about them. The crosses from this mother plant has given me the most varied growth habits and leaf shapes that I have ever had from one parent. I have upright growth, mound type growth, round leaves, long leaves, shiny leaves puckered leaves, cupped leaves and so on. I have selected several for observation for the next several years.
I understand how you have developed your thoughts on roots. I still believe that roots make the plant. If Chick's idea that they grow roots to get water is correct, then why are the plants in a dry garden so often lacking in a healthy root system?  Enough for today. I am not trying to change minds or thoughts on the matter. Until I learn better through experience, I will stick to my ideas and expect everyone to do the same.