Re: Observation

Glen Williams wrote:

> Mary, Bill, Chick....
> I have found at least a few
> plants where minimal roots have a wonderful lush and large plant above
> them.

At least to some degree, the plant can grow leaves from the food stored in the
rhizome with practically no roots at all.  Obviously this can't go on for long,
and there must be enough root to take up the water that the leaves need, but
when dividing I am always surprised at how little root mass is required for the
plant to survive and recover.

As far as differences between species, there are some, but I doubt that anyone
has studied it.  Kikutii types are a good example of a species that has a
fairly distinctive form of root growth, kind of wirey (I have no idea how to
spell that) rather than stringy.  Hard to describe, but I know one when I see