RE: Observation........

  • Subject: RE: Observation........
  • From: "Mary Chastain" <MC_hosta@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:04:14 -0400

Gerry the new potting mix is Bio Comp. I have it delivered from Knoxville so you should not have trouble finding it. There are several grades for different uses. For container I use the one that has composted peanut hulls in it.  I am just getting ready to try one that is mixed especially for seedlings.
I don't have buried container in the garden. I have tried sinking pots in the ground to avoid tree roots and it has not proven successful for me. The roots find their way into the container.  The most successful I have been is to put a container in the ground as a shield then place the potted plant into it. The mulch hides the part of the second container that extends above the ground. This process makes easier to remove the plant when the time comes to refresh the soil. It also deters the roots to some extent. I do have several large containers that sit on top of the ground among wild flowers that are growing under trees were the heaviest roots are causing so must trouble. I also find that some ground cover type asarum is great for this.