Hosta in Focus -- Let the Fun Begin

  • Subject: Hosta in Focus -- Let the Fun Begin
  • From: Giboshiman@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 09:06:57 EDT

Only 30 days left until people begin to arrive at the hospitality room for the Seventh Annual Hosta in Focus.  But more importantly, for those out-of-towners looking to take advantage of the great rates at the Fairview Park Marriott, the cutoff date for the block rate is October 10th.  According to hotel records there are only 8 room registrations that have been made on our "hosta" block.

However, we found that they had put at least one person that I knew had made reservations onto someone else's block.  The rate was the same, but for those of you whom have not done events like be advised that the group gets "credit" towards the meeting room use for the percentage of our room block that is successfully used up.

So I suggest two things: 1) if you have not made your room reservations please do so by the October 10 cutoff date (yes, if you miss that date I will try to intercede with the hotel, but there are no promises!).   I also want to point out that even if you guarantee your room with a credit card there is no charge made until you actually check-in (unless of course you make a guarantee and then fail to cancel, but even then the charge is not recorded until November 10th!)  To make your reservations contact the Fairview Park Marriott, Falls Church, Virginia. 1-800-228-9290 or 703-849-9400 and ask for the Potomac Hosta group rate!

2) If you have made reservations with the hotel please let me know by private email so that I can check to make sure the hotel has placed you in the correct room block.  Thank you for your assistance.  (I will send a private message following this one to each of you whom I know have a registration at the hotel in our block.  If you do not get a private message from me within an hour of this message and believe that you have a room let me know so I can get it straightened out with the hotel.)

PS.  Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport has reopened and travel to Hosta in Focus is made even easier!  Of course some of you may still choose to fly into BWI or Dulles as prices vary considerably this time of year.

Also, for those of you waiting until the last minute to register for Hosta in Focus itself, I need to have your registration forms (with your money) IN MY HANDS at least 96 hours in advance (this translates to November 6) as that is the day that I need to guarantee the number and type of meals.

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible starting in the hospitality room, which will be opened at 3:00 pm on Friday, November 9 and will remain open until I pass out (from sleep deprivation) on the couch!

Happy Hosta-ing
Kevin P. Walek