Re: H. laevigata

  • Subject: Re: H. laevigata
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 10:33:25 -0400

Hi Charles,
         The first plant of laevigata I saw was at Warren Pollock's house.
He had one of the first ones so he could report on it for the Hosta Journal
before it became available. His plant, which came straight from George
Schmid, grew very well and set most of the pods. Because I knew Warren
doesn't have any interest in growing seed, I asked him for it, and he gave
me all of it. The germination rate was pretty high, and it behaved like
yingeri in most respects, although they were thinner and more uniform tham
yingeri in general. A few golds came from it, maybe two or three, and these
didn't grow very well. Yingeri does produce some golds that grow well, so
with more to pick from, you should be able to get a gold that grows pretty
well. I don't think I saved any of the seedlings, mainly because I don't
have that much room and they weren't the kind of plants I'm working on. I
know Roy Herald used it as a pollen parent on some streaked plants with good
results. I'm pretty sure Tony avent used it some too.
          With species we have to remember that self-pollenated seedlings
ARE the species, so the plant you got may have been an infertile seedling
sold (correctly) under the species name. You might want to swap divisions
with somebody who has a more fertile one. Sorry, but I lost mine by giving
too many divisions away.

...........Bill Meyer