Re: A Blooming Question

  • Subject: Re: A Blooming Question
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:09:36 -0400

Hi Glen, All
Frankly, there may be some that do. The opening of the flowers is a trait
developed with the natural pollinators in mind. Pollinators usually get up
very early, long before humans do and many hybridizers have learned to
protect the flowers they want to hybridize with. In the wild, they are
usually open by the time you climb the mountain valleys and get there.
Anyway, most flowers open at the crack of dawn and I have seen them open as
early as 4:00 AM, well before the crack of dawn. That is why we call them
day-blooming as oppposed to H. plantaginea, a night-bloomer that has the
flowers opening in late afternoon to be ready for for night-flying moths.
What wakes the pollinators up, I can only guess on, although bee keepers
know pretty well when the hives get busy. In my garden, not having Japanese
pollinators, most of the open pollination is done by flies and bumble bees
and an occasional honey bee or wasp. The bumble bees get up very early and
they have beaten me to many times to the pistil on marked flowers, judging
by the yellow smear on the stigma. How they navigate in the dark (not being
moths) is beyond me. The opening of the day-blooming flowers is normally
triggered by maturity (of the flower, i.e., being receptive to pollen),
temperature change (going up), and light (getting lighter). Being in the
house all of these factors may be abnormal so the flower opens whenever it
gets good and ready. I usually kept mine in my library by the window with
natural lighting and let nature take its course. Most opened in a normal
way, i.e., in the early morning. HTH George
W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
84-12'-30" West_33-51' North