Re: A Blooming Question

  • Subject: Re: A Blooming Question
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:46:28 -0400

Hi Glen,
       While you're er........ coupling?, no ....... what's the word?
........ performing your crosses, be sure to make "bzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
sounds a lot. This is extremely important to the process and fertilization
may fail if you don't do it. The costume alone isn't enough. BTW, did you
get your hybridizer suit (bee costume for laypersons) at Hollywood Costumes?
They offer a special discount for AHS members but you have to request it.
That's where most of us got ours. If you wear it until at least noon and are
sure to make the "bzzzz bzzzzzzzzz" sounds, good fertility is pretty much
        Hosta flowers have little eyes in the base of the flower and watch
for approach of the hybridizer. When they see him/her off in the distance,
they spring open suddenly so as to be ready when you approach. Until then
they stay closed to guard their purity from stray insects with other and
less honorable motives. You know the kind I mean ---- the ones who just have
their way and move on with no thought to caring for the results of their
behavior. Scientists believe the flowers are motivated by maternal instincts
to find a good surrogate parent for their little ones.
        If the neighbors see you "in the act" in your backyard and call the
police, you must show them your Hybridizer's ID card immediately or their
may be unpleasant consequences. Should they take you in for questioning, use
your phone call to call the AHS Legal Division, and they will send a team of
highly specialized lawyers to your rescue.
        Hybridizing is not without its risks, but the rewards can be great.
We wouldn't all be wearing those hot uncomfortable costumes every morning
for nothing, would we?
                                         .........Bill Meyer

ps. Most species' flowers open very early in the morning, and all flowers
for that day open at the same time. The exception is plantagenia. The pure
species opens in the early evening, and most hybrids including it open later
in the morning than the other species do. 'Fragrant Blue' is an early opener
among these opening not long fter the non-fragrant ones, while 'Savannah
Supreme' is one of the later ones, often opening after 9:00 AM. Cooler
temperatures delay opening somewhat, so it will vary from day to day and
location to location.