Vita's Gift to Virginia

  • Subject: Vita's Gift to Virginia
  • From: CCREDUX@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:25:50 EDT

Ltr, V. Sackville-West to V. Woolf, September 8, 1925:

"I am going to Brighton today, over your Downs, and shall leave this letter
on your doorstep together with your garden-in-a-saucer. It looks dull at
present, but in spring
it will give you flowers. You must keep it well watered."

Ltr, V. Woolf to Vanessa Bell (sister ), 17 September 1925:

" Tell Clive**--this won't interest you---that a lady in a large blue motor
car stopped a small boy in Rodmell village two days ago, and gave him a large
bunch of roses, an earthenware pan containing several rocks and small alpine
plants.... telling him to give them to Mrs Woolf with her love and drove off---
This was our (Clive's and my) Vita."
** Clive Bell, Vanessa's husband
Now, what I found of interest here was that Virginia was able to identify the
plants as "alpine."!! She shows in her letters and diaries little interest in
plants, plantings or gardening. I dont think she liked Sissinghurst at all.
Leonard was a utilitarian gardener and did it probably only to get away from
Virginia---he had an awful temper and was a very mean, petty man. THE HOURS got
him all wrong.

Clyde C.