RE: Fall Gold Hostas

  • Subject: RE: Fall Gold Hostas
  • From: "Mary Chastain - Lakeside Acres" MC_hosta@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:06:22 -0400

Ran everything you say about bud development certainly seems to be true. To
me that simply says the leaves have probably stopped growing for the year
but it does not mean that they have to go down. In other words simply
disappear as some do or turn yellow as others may. There are varieties that
will go dormant for us by mid July. I have some that are rather new
introductions which I paid good money for that only had dried flower scapes
left buy mid July. I feel cheated. My feelings are that we should breed to
reduce or remove these characteristics. By carefully selection, it can be
done. This week I selected my breeding stock for next year from the plants
that still looked exceptional in mid Oct. If I continue to do this type of
thing, I hope to have a good looking garden until killing frost comes.
Sometimes that is in Nov.

Mary