Re: getting ready for winter

  • Subject: Re: getting ready for winter
  • From: RBRSSR@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:11:14 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/2005 11:24:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,
wilddog_202@yahoo.com writes:

If you  believe my argument that what a hosta needs to
grow is what is in the  dieing leaves. Let them fall
and mulch. The way nature grows is; next years  plants
grow from the decomposing debri from the previous year
and the  nutrient cycling of that debri.

Butch, I won't disagree with you, but there are other  considerations.
Cleaning the gardens in the fall of all debris likely helps  to reduce fungal
diseases, slugs, foliar nematodes, etc. the following  year. For these same reasons,
many gardeners believe hosta leaves  should not be placed in compost piles.

Ray Rodgers,  Bartonville, IL, Zone 5