Re: getting ready for winter

  • Subject: Re: getting ready for winter
  • From: ranbl@netsync.net
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:35:23 -0400 (EDT)

Ray
I need to get in on this one.

There is no current thought that the nematode or it's  eggs survive in
the spent foliage.  I know of no disease ( harmful to hostas) that will
go through the winter on hosta leaves.  As far as slugs go, they feed
mostly on live material, but any aid they provide in the decompistiton
process is good.  I would be surprise if they do much feeding on any old
hosta leaves in spring.  I agree with Butch,  The process has worked in
Japan for ( how many thousand years?)  It seems good to me  and I never
do any thing to them until spring, when I rake up any heavy deposits
that will be unsightly.
Thanks
Ran

 In a message dated 10/21/2005 11:24:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,