Re: Blue Ice

I think Wade and Gatton are a little expensive but I had heard that they send
mature crowns(divisions).  They told me that they usually only send one
division plants that is why they seemed expensive.  I am trying a few tissue
culture plugs for cheap money.  I bought fire and ice for $10 and split milk
for $9.  Both are perfectly delightful as miniature immature plants so I don't
mind waiting for them to mature.  I am waiting to see if they survive the
winter and how large they come back next year before I spend a ton of money.
I was told by the supplier that they are able to take these immature 2 inch
tissue culture plugs into relatively mature plants in one year.  They plant
them in soil mix that is mainly pine bark mulch and keep them very wet.  The
mixture doesn't have any soil per say but has fertilizer.  The mixture the
plants came in had a lot of chunks of organic matter probably the undecomposed
pine bark.  He said that this keeps the mixture loose with great drainage.  I
am looking to buy over 100 hostas in the next couple of years and I want those
very desirable new plants but unfortunately at $75- $100 a plant that would be
a little too expensive for me.  Wouldn't it be fun if you didn't have to
consider the price.  Chris from Braintree, MA  Zone 5