Re: Blue Ice

Barbara & Morris wrote:
You know, price differences like this (100.00 vs. 10.00) always blow my
mind!  They are so far apart!  What exactly would I get for my $100.00?
Does it warrant paying the diff?
Barbara
I think these prices might be easier to understand if you consider that over a period of years, a hosta can be three different products.  A new introduction can easily be worth $100 because there aren't many of them available.  My guess is that Van Wade paid at least that much for his stock long before the plant was placed in TC.  Now that the plant is in TC, I would also guess that Van will reduce his price, even though it is originator's stock.

The second and most common product is a mature division of a plant that is widely available.  Prices vary among varieties depending on how good the plant is and whether it has been successfully TC'd.  'Maui Buttercups' is still selling for around $50.00 or more because the TC labs have not flooded the market with them.  Once they do, if they do, the price will probably be comparable to 'Zounds' after a few years, $10-15.00.

The third product, TC plants that have not been grown on to mature size, is a rather new addition to the mix.  The advantage is that they are cheaper.  The disadvantage is that until they are grown to, for lack of a better term, sexual maturity, which I define as being grown long enough produce a flower scape, they are likely to remain single eye plants.

If you receive delivery of the two plants today, the one from Wade will probably be a multi-eye crown next spring.  The TC plant will probably not multiply because it is not mature enough. (Please note the word probably is used twice above).  Normally, a TC plant will not multiply until it is mature enough to produce a flower scape, completing its growing cycle and allowing side buds to break dormancy the following spring.  So what you get for the extra money is at least one, and maybe two years of increase, depending on what you receive and how the plants grow.

Something for everybody, so long as you realize that the difference is not just the price.

Chick (a biased participant in the game)
 www.bridgewoodgardens.com