Re: Planting Bulbs in Hosta Beds

In a message dated 98-10-11 18:39:01 EDT, Clyde writes:

<< I decided this fall to plant a lot of spring flowering bulbs--tulips and
 of the "minor" bulbs. >>

Hi Clyde.. The answer to the unsightly foliage removal has always been that
you leave them on until they can be easily removed by a slight pull on the
stem.  The only problem with this approach is that they are around untill
about the first of July here in Minn-E-Sota..  So what i do is this:  In the
fall I plant new tulip bulbs in my main garden..  I will probably plant
several hundred this fall.  I plant them about 4" to 5" deep, not as deep as
the directions recommend.  At the same time I roto till in a lot of peat into
the soil, and for each bulb I plant, I put a tablespoon of bone meal in the
bottom of the hole.  In the spring I have beautiful, large tulips.. After they
bloom and at the time I want to get into the garden to work, I pull out the
bulbs by the foliage - I can do this with a minimum of digging because I have
loosened the soil with peat.  I have a large area that I plant Impatiens in,
and before I plant the Impatiens I till the soil, work in peat, and plant all
the bulbs I pulled out of the main garden - minus the foliage since I just cut
it off.  Then in the fall I buy more new tulips.

I have never had good luck with tulips maintaining their size for more than a
year or two as they tend to diminish in size each  year.. With this system
people that see my tulip gardens in the spring always comment  on the size and
beauty of my tulips, and I get two years out of my tulips.  My wife uses the
second tulip bed for her cutting bed, and my main bed pretty longer..   I will
admit however, that it is a lot of work and you must be prepared to buy tulips
every year.

This is how I do it and it works for me.   And, I get many compliments on my
beautiful tulips and dafodils.