Donated plants and $100 check for N.A.F.

CH, Dr Grewal,

We will send the following hostas with foliar nematodes:

Banyai's Dancing Girl--30 or 40 division plant--treated Oxamyl-9-9-98
Apple Green--10 or 12 division plant--no treatment--loaded
Nakaimo--5 or 6 division--only a few streaks--no treatment

And a few others also.

What is the address of the Nematode Action Fund?

Russ Parsons
Hurlock MD.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7
CH Falstad wrote:
I have another request.  As of the executive board meeting this past weekend
the AHS board approved spending up to $25,000 for a multi-fascited research
project studying foliar nematodes on hosta.  This is a huge sum, and more
than we have spent on all research projects to date, but one the board felt
well worth it.  The project will include: an assay to determine whether we
have a single strain of nematode, two or more strains, or even two species
(control may be different if there is more than one type);
to determine where, specifically, the nematode over-winters
a study to see if carnivorous nematodes and symbiotic bacteria that has
given good control on similar species may also give good control on the
foliar nematode affecting hosta;
a study using previously beneficial plant extracts to see if they may also
give good control on hosta;
and, a study to determine the resistance and susceptibility of several
Some of you may belong to local societies that may wish to support this
nematode research.  If so, you could contact me personally, or Glen Draper,
the AHS treasurer.  The board has established a Nematode Action Fund for
those interested.
Van Wade has generously agreed to help out in supplying plants for the
resistance study.
What I need from all of you is to mail your whole plant showing nematode
symptoms to Dr. Grewal at the address below.  Dr. Grewal will use these
sample for two purposes, to examine the nematodes present to see if there
are different  strains in our hostas, and also to find out where in the
leaves or crown the nematodes are present.
Below is a portion of the message from Dr. Grewal.  If anyone has any
questions you may contact me or Dr. Grewal.
C. H. Falstad
Prime Plants TM