Re: New Rules

The problem is you don't understand registration.

It has nothing to do with garden worthiness and gives no seal of approval. Think of the power you are wanting to give the registrar. It doesn't really matter because he can not take that power.

Why do we want to give someone, anyone power. The oldest story in the world "power corrupts, etc.

And it would not protect the buying public in any way, the power is already in your pocket book.

1)Shouldn't there be more guidelines than "I made a new plant, I like it, I'm registering it". Some kind of approval by peers should be taken. Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't a registration be in some sense, a seal of approval. "This plant was nice enough that it was approved to be registered", said the Hybridizer.

2)I know the above statement means probably another committee : ( I just believe that in a short time we will see 7, 8 maybe 10 thousand registered Hosta. So what, who cares. It will just be file cabinets full of paper and pictures that nobody really will be able to comprehend because it will be just so overwhelming.

3) Then along comes Jan Smith. She hybridizes the most spectacular plant of the decade. Everybody loves it. She is ready to name it. That name is gone, so is that one. You get what I'm saying. Tons of mediocre plants (at best) have taken all the good names. So, what was gained? I don't know myself.

Registration is good, but it just seems like this "push" may corrupt the system. Then registration will be "So what, who cares"

Ray Wiegand

Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5