Re: Originators Stock and late transplanting

In a message dated 10/5/99 7:48:09 AM Central Daylight Time,

<<   An
 example is the  two forms of Hosta June that we see coming out of the labs.
 The originators stock is the closest thing to the original so has the
 highest chance of being unchanged.  In the trade, it usually makes little
 difference that the plant is TC instead of originator as long as the lab
 culls the plants well before shipping them.

Hi Jim and others in this discussion,

I'm not very up on TC and discussions of genetics and such....as may well be
obvious by my question now.  I just bought several Hosta June, and so I'm
curious ....WHAT two forms are coming out of the labs?
and how can TC labs know what to cull when the plants are so young?  It was
my understanding that juvenile hosta can look alot different then mature
hosta.  Is it still obvious (for any hosta) which TC plants will be different
than the standard?

Another question for the group(s).  My brother is going to "trash" several of
my mom's old hosta clumps because he's buying her house and remodeling.
(We've had frost here already, and have been known to get 30 inches of that
white stuff on Halloween.)  My sister and I are going to dig up several of
the clumps tomorrow to move to my sister's house.  I 'm hoping that since
she's planting them in a new garden that has several inches of woodchips
spread over it, that they should be safe from freezing and thawing this
winter.  Will the roots continue to grow as long as the ground is not frozen?
 Will it hurt to transplant now? Would we risk the loss of some hostas if we
divided up the clumps into ...say pieces of 3 or 4 divisions?

Thanks everyone,
Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a