Re: Foliar Nematode Photo ID

Bob,
I bet a person could cut down on the rate at which foliar nematodes
spread around their garden, but I don't think sanitation alone will
reduce the number of foliar nematodes already in an infected cultivar.

By the way. Last year seemed to be a good year for foliar nematodes to
show up for some reason. It could be the warmer than normal winters and
more foliar nematodes than normal over wintered.

Foliar nematode symptoms only show up when their populations are high.
Some areas of the country may have foliar nematodes but the growing
season may be short enough so that the populations don't get high enough
to show.

A favorable season following a mild winter may result in high
populations that show symptoms the next season. There is some guess work
going on here but I have heard these opinions expressed by several
people familiar with the subject. Notably, the researchers working for
the American Hosta Society.

I have heard reports of hostas that have been in one location for a
dozen years, have had no new plants moved in near them during that time,
and suddenly they showed signs of foliar nematodes during the 1998
season. This kind of report lends credence to the theory that foliar
nematodes may be in many locations,  but in too low of a population to
produce symptoms.

I hope the $25,000 the AHS is spending at Ohio State answers these
questions and more. Of course, I hope for world peace, too.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7
SussexTreeInc@ce.net