Re: White Hostas

Gerry/Bob O'Neill wrote:

> Was thumbing through my copy of Schmidt the other day and a white-leafed
> hosta caught my eye. Ran (I think) also mentioned a white leaved variety in
> one of his posts.
>
> What has been your experience with these plants? Sun, shade? Do they
> require a lot of coddling (which would be my guess)? Are they viridescent
> or do they retain that cream color all year? Or conversely, do they start
> yellow and bleach to creme?
>
> Gerry
> *****
Gerry
The most notable of the "white" hostas, is one called "White Trouble",
an undulata sport that folks find occasionally.  This like all white or
near white Hostas, does not produce anouigh chlorphill to survive.  It
there fore takes on a common aspect, one found in other hostas with a
lot of light color.  It sends up new shoots in the mid summer,.  These
will vary from light green to streaked or striped.