Hosta In Pots / Dormancy

For Hosta to complete the necessary dormancy phase,it appears that 6-8 weeks
at temperatures below 40 degrees is necessary.

I have had  no problem overwintering Hosta in pots here in zone 5 -outside
and covered securley with waterproof tarping -northern exposure.

This year I have acsess to one of my garages for storage, eliminating the
need to tarp. I have 100+ plants in pots so the garage storage will be
considerably easier.

Question! I cannot guarantee the garage will give the dormancy temperatures
I need. I am guessing that although nightime temperatures will be below 40
degrees, I suspect daytime will be above 40 ie; plants will not be
constantly below 40. How will this scenario affect dormancy and am taking a
chance? What are the possible repercussions? How important is 40 degrees?

Any comments are appreciated.

Phil Little  Waterloo Ont.